The weekly task of Bible exegesis is one that must be approached with the utmost reverence for God and His word, and an attitude of prayer. We at Rookie Preacher believe that you can start with a passage of Scripture and make it applicable like a topical sermon and start with a topic and make it faithful to rich Bible exegesis like an expository sermon.
In today’s podcast you’ll find out:
- 6 steps for going from a passage of Scripture to arriving at a topic.
- A way to improve in the above process outside of your normal sermon preparation.
- 6 steps for going from a topic to a passage of Scripture.
- How to faithfully apply a passage of Scripture to your congregation.
Listen to Episode 7
Want 56 weeks of preaching topics for free? Get your copy by subscribing to RookiePreacher.com!
Show Notes: How to Go From Passage to Topic and Topic to Passage
- How to Avoid the Dangers of Topical Preaching
- 5 Dangers of Expository Preaching (And How to Avoid Them)
- Why Exposical Preaching is the Best Option
- How to Structure a Sticky Sermon
- Brandon’s podcast: The Abundant Life with Brandon Kelley
Psalm 124 (ESV)
If it had not been the Lord who was on our side—
let Israel now say—
2 if it had not been the Lord who was on our side
when people rose up against us,
3 then they would have swallowed us up alive,
when their anger was kindled against us;
4 then the flood would have swept us away,
the torrent would have gone over us;
5 then over us would have gone
the raging waters.
6 Blessed be the Lord,
who has not given us
as prey to their teeth!
7 We have escaped like a bird
from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken,
and we have escaped!
8 Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
Matthew 18:21-22 (NASB)
21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.